Seresto Flea Collar for Dogs has been one of the most popular anti-flea treatment collars since its debut in 2012. Fleas and ticks are common ectoparasites that can make your canine’s life difficult. Excessive scratching and biting can cause bad sores, hair loss, and fleas also carry many diseases.
Seresto collars are famous for their unique formula that can replenish itself and provide continuous protection for eight months. Protection from fleas is necessary for any household pet. However, many prevention techniques are either too expensive or aren’t very easy on the canine.
So, if you are looking for a quick, easy-to-use, and effective solution for these nasty little critters, you have come to the right place. In this guide, our experts have spent hours researching all there is about Seresto Collars. The simple packs both treatment and prevention and can be used alongside regular identification collars.
We will talk about its advantages and shortcomings. We will also share the best usage methods so you can get the best out of the collar.
Flea and tick collar for small and large dogs in a convenient, odorless and non-greasy collar; No need for messy monthly treatments.
If you have a canine companion, you’ll know how fast they are to having ticks and fleas on their body. It is something you need to act fast against before it becomes a treat to your dog’s life. Serestos Flea Collar is designed to produce a fast result while eliminating blood-sucking enemies off your four-legged friend.
It is made of the best quality materials that look robust and stable on even larger dogs. Furthermore, the active ingredient combination stored in the collar includes Imidacloprid and Flumethrin: Imidacloprid helps protect against fleas while Flumethrin protects against ticks. The slow-release mechanism gently releases the ingredients into your pet’s hair and skin surface to ensure maximum protection against pest attacks.
This popular collar is known and proved to be a waterproof product, meaning your pet can freely play in the rain and waterlogged areas. However, it still works effectively after shampooing or swimming. It gives a long-lasting and continuous 8-month protection against tick infestation, flea, mosquitoes, larvae, lice, and treats sarcoptic mange. It works on contact attacks fleas within 24 hours of application on your pet’s neck.
Also, the odorless and non-greasy nature of the collar makes it suitable for pets with sensitive skin and noses. The pet product itself is adjustable, and you can cut off any excesses for a perfect fit. The collar was designed with upper weight consideration for your dog not to get tired of having it on.
Finally, it comes with a reflective chip to make your cat visible and easy to find at night. Most importantly, the quick release mechanism helps your dog breakaway in case he gets trapped in an obstacle. The product is safe for adult dogs and seven weeks old puppies.
- It kills flea, eggs, and larvae
- Long-lasting 8 months protection
- It has a safety release mechanism
- It contains two active ingredients that control, repel, and kill ticks
- Odorless and non-greasy product
- Suitable for small and large dogs
- Expensive and not effective for eight months
- It is water-resistant, not waterproof
Click to View Post Navigation
How Does the Seresto Flea Collar Work?
Most anti-flea collars use some form of pesticide released in small concentrations to spread in the dog’s fur. Some of these are only effective if the parasite bites your dog, as their action involves killing by the ingestion of the chemical. However, many advanced formulas are able to prevent infestations on contact.
The Seresto collars are used to provide both protection from infestations and treatment for dealing with these critters.
The collar begins to work as soon as it is put on and starts the treatment if there is already an infestation. The main active ingredients in Seresto collars are two compounds, namely Imidacloprid and Flumethrin.
The formula is spread using a sustained-release technology providing continuous protection against flea and tick bites. In addition, Flumethrin is able to replenish itself, giving the collar its 8-month long life for continued protection against parasites.
Unlike many other formulas, these collars do not make your pet’s fur greasy, which means it is easy to clean and maintain. Other than fleas and ticks, these collars are also effective against lice and can treat itch mite problems like sarcoptic mange to some extent.
Essential Features of Seresto Flea Collar
Following is a list of valuable features you can get when using Seresto collars:
- It can be used for canines aged seven weeks or older, weighing around 18lbs. Unlike many other flea collars, this formula is not too strong to be dangerous and is suitable for young puppies. It is not known to have any harmful effects; however, there are reports of specific reactions. If your canine suffers from some kind of skin condition or is undergoing medication, make sure to consult the veterinarian before using the product.
- Seresto collars provide both protection and prevention. This means that you can use the collar even if your dog does not have an infestation. These can be used in all kinds of weather conditions and prevent and kill the most common ectoparasites.
- The collar remains functional for up to 8 months. This has been made possible by creating an automatic self-replenishing formula.
- The sustained release method makes sure the formula is not too potent at the beginning. It also makes sure that the potency is not reduced as time passes.
- The collar releases the chemical, so it spreads throughout your canine’s fur from his head to the end of the tail.
- These are super-easy to use; no extra tool, chemical, or medication is required.
How to Apply Seresto Flea Collar?
The Seresto collars come in a metal casing with a seal. If the seal is broken, or if the case is missing the right color, it is probably a counterfeit product. Since Seresto collars are pretty popular, you are bound to run into a few knock-offs. In order to avoid any danger, make sure to check whether the collar is genuine or not. Once you have checked that, you can now proceed to open it.
After removing the seal, you will find the collar as a long strap with a small buckle for closure. The length of the strap is kept universal so it can fit most dogs however, these are divided into large and small collars. When putting the collar on, make sure it sits as close to the skin as possible. This is necessary for the collar to work.
Usually, the strap has loops where you can tuck in the extra length of the strap. However, if it is too long, you can also cut it to the required size. This does not affect the working of these flea collars. Some Seresto collars also come with a few reflectors. While it is important to remember that these collars are for flea prevention only and should not be used as a regular collar.
However, you can put the reflectors on for extra safety. That way, when you are walking your pet, the reflectors will enhance your puppy’s visibility by reflecting the vehicle lights. How tight a collar fit is important; however, it should not be too tight to strangle your pet. He should be able to move, eat and drink with ease. A good way of taking care of that is to use the two-finger rule.
This means that there should be space for two fingers between your pet’s fur and the collar. The collar should not be too loose either as it can reduce its effectiveness or get snagged in the canine’s fur.
What We Liked
Following are the features that set Seresto collars apart from the others:
1. Collars are grease-free: Unlike many other flea collars, Seresto collars are not messy as they do not spread the greasiness in the coat. This makes them ideal for long-term usage, especially for dogs with long fur and healthier coats.
2. The Formula replenishes itself: The formula is enhanced to replenish itself and works for a whole eight months. The effectiveness of these collars can be affected by prolonged exposure to moisture or water. These collars are waterproof and keep working even when your canine is swimming or taking a bath. However, when used in the presence of water for so long, the collar’s duration may get lessened to 5 months.
3. It does not require biting: The treatment takes place even when the parasites are not sucking your pooch’s blood. The effects are quick and noticeable. If your dog had an infestation previously, you will be able to notice his reduced scratching and improved comfort.
4. These collars work for multiple parasites: They can be used for both treatment and prevention of flea infestations. It also works for biting lice, ticks, fleas, and flea larvae.
5. The formula is odorless: Other than being non-greasy, these do not have a strong odor which makes them break-away easy to use for canines that haven’t worn such a collar before.
6. Collars are waterproof: This means your pet can wear them while swimming or bathing and still be protected. While the effective duration is reduced due to prolonged usage, it is still a lot less in comparison to other flea repelling collars.
7. Come with a breakaway mechanism: The straps of these collars are designed to come open if they get snagged somewhere. That way, you can ensure that your pooch will not get stuck even if the collar is secured around his neck.
What We Didn’t Like
1. A Reaction is likely to occur: If your canine is not used to wearing a flea collar, you may notice scratching and biting. The pesticides used in the formula are known to have mild harmful effects on dogs. Your pooch may also have an allergic reaction; however, the experts say that these are temporary and subside after one or two weeks and do not require you to remove the collar.
2. Total effectiveness is reduced if they are frequently exposed to water or moisture: Even after being waterproof, the collars still work, even if your puppy loves to swim or bathe. However, the 8-months long duration is reduced to 5-months.
3. These are Pricey: While many dog flea collars range from $5 to $10, these collars start from $50, which can seem quite expensive compared to other alternatives. However, while these are expensive, you also need to note that other collars need to be changed more often than these.
4. The breakaway mechanism can cause it to break ahead of the 8-months time: The formula is most effective for dogs with shorter coats. However, if your canine has long fur, the formula may not spread as effectively, thus giving you reduced performance.
Benefits of Using Seresto Dog Collar
- Allow you to monitor your pet easily: Unlike medications that need to be ingested, Seresto flea and tick collars can be applied quickly and start working within minutes of application. Since flea-prevention formulas use strong chemicals and pesticides, many of these can be harmful or reactive for canines. Ingesting such medicines, therefore, can be dangerous for your pet. However, with the collars, you can monitor your dog for any signs of discomfort. Make sure to check the skin near the collar every few hours in the beginning.
- These collars do not cause a mess and have low maintenance: Since these collars are non-greasy, they do not cause a mess of your pet’s fur. You can still clean and bathe your canine while avoiding the sneaky little pests. As these are waterproof, you can rest assured about the collar’s action given that you aren’t bathing your pooching excessively.
- The effect is almost immediate: After the collar is worn, the effects begin within the first 24 hours. If your dog already had an infestation, the fleas are killed within the first day, and the newly hatching ones are killed after a few hours. For ticks, however, the effect is not immediate. In fact, it is recommended to remove any attached ticks before applying the collar. Once your pet has the Seresto collar, further infestation will be prevented.
Here, you need to know that fleas show on the top of your pet’s fur when they are dying. Therefore, if you begin to see more fleas after putting on the collar, it means it is working.
Keeping your furry pooch safe from infestations is important for his healthy skin and fur. Fleas also carry many diseases that can bring harm to you and your pooch.
Therefore, it is a good idea to use a flea collar even if your pet does not have an infestation yet. The Seresto collars work nicely for treating and preventing parasitic infestations and are effective against lice, fleas, their larvae, and ticks.
The non-greasy long-lasting formula spreads throughout the fur to provide continuous protection for eight months. The results are a healthy, thriving dog that does not bite or scratch himself unnecessarily.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long does Seresto Collar take to work on fleas?
The full effect takes place within the first 24 hours. If your pet already has an infestation, you will begin seeing fleas more clearly as they appear on top of the fur. This means that the collar is effectively dealing with the pests, and the hatching eggs will be dealt with within 2 hours.
How to understand the Genuine Seresto collar I purchased?
Being a famous brand also means that they get cheap replicas and knock-offs that can be dangerous for your canine. To avoid purchasing a bad collar, make sure to note that the collar tin is 12cm across in length, has a printed lid and sticker on the bottom; the printing is high quality with no spelling mistakes.
The logo is embossed, and it is sealed at all sides. The lid is colored from the inside, and the color is red for dog collars. The lot number and expiry date are both mentioned clearly. The collar itself never smells and has a safety release mechanism.
What are the used ingredients of this collar?
The disclosed ingredients include the active components, namely imidacloprid and flumethrin are the key ingredients.
What are the side effects of the Seresto Flea Collar?
Known effects include redness, mild sores, hair loss; however, these diminish within a week or two. In rare cases, if your dog is allergic, he may develop lesions or inflammations. This can be avoided by keeping his medical history in mind and consulting his veterinarian.
Is the Seresto collar safe for dogs?
These collars have been confirmed as safe for most dogs. However, if your canine is undergoing medication, or has certain allergies, it is recommended to consult his veterinarian before using the collar. If it is found to be unsuitable, consider getting a natural alternative for prevention.