Tick Spray for Dogs is the best solution if your dog has caught tick or fleas. There are different types of ticks that vary from one region to another. Ticks latch and bite your dog’s skin that can lead to some serious health problems.
There are many products that you can find in the market to treat ticks. Make sure to choose the right tick spray by considering important factors such as active ingredients, brand reliability, container, and price.
Our team consulted pet experts and did the research for 72 hours to come up with the complete guide regarding tick sprays for dogs. We have gathered the 10 best tick sprays for dogs in this article. All these products were tested by pet specialists for their effectiveness.
Whichever tick spray product you choose, make sure to follow the instructions carefully. If the product says to use the spray twice a week, then do not overuse it. Let us walk you through this guide to know more about tick sprays.
Click to View Post Navigation
- 1 Top 5 Tick Spray for Dogs in 2022 – Comparisons
- 2 Best Tick Spray for Dogs in 2022 – Reviews
- 3 Why Does it Necessary to Buy a Tick Spray for Dogs?
- 4 Risks Associated with Ticks
- 5 How to Use Tick Sprays on Dog’s Body?
- 6 Things to Consider Before Choosing Tick Sprays for Dogs
- 7 Benefits of Using Tick Spray for Dogs
- 8 Precautions of Using Tick Spray
- 9 Some Important Tips
- 10 Final Thoughts
- 11 Frequently Asked Questions
Top 5 Tick Spray for Dogs in 2022 – Comparisons
|Image||Product Name||Key Features|
|Check On Amazon|
|Check On Amazon|
|Check On Amazon|
|Check On Amazon|
|Check On Amazon|
Best Tick Spray for Dogs in 2022 – Reviews
1. Our Top Pick – Vet’s Best Dog Tick Spray Review
All-natural ingredients spray for adequate protection for your dog, without causing any harm
Vet’s Best Dog Tick Spray is recommended as the best spray by pet parents for its effectiveness on the dog’s body. This certified formula comprises cloves, peppermint, and natural oils, which is composed of potent pest-fighting properties. Whether treating an active infestation or applying for prevention, this spray is independently tested effective against all kinds of pests.
It kills and also repels fleas, flea eggs, larvae, and ticks through contact. Even the spray does not contain any harmful chemicals so that it won’t cause any skin irritation to your pet, and you can use it indoor freely.
It is a water-based product and designed to be non-staining. Therefore, you can apply this solution almost everywhere, including beds, crates, floors, furniture, blankets, carpets, and even outdoor surfaces. It is an easy-to-use spray; you simply need to apply the solution to your pet’s fur.
You can also massage it into your dog’s coat until it reaches their skin for the best result. Also, it is a gentle tick spray and suggested for puppies 12 weeks of age or older. The product is proudly manufactured in the USA to offer the finest quality for your pet.
- All-natural ingredients like cloves, peppermint, and oils used
- Treats active infestation and cease further development
- Effectively kills and repels fleas, mosquitoes, ticks, and other bugs
- No harmful chemical used, so it is safe
- The non-staining solution, suitable for both indoor and outdoor use
2. Runner Up – Hartz UltraGuard Tick Spray Review
Fresh scented ultra-guard flea and tick spray kills parasites on contact for up to 1 week from the day of application
Hartz UltraGurad Tick Spray is another excellent product, and it holds the runner-up position in our list. This water-based fast-acting formula spray is very much effective in killing all kinds of fleas and ticks.
It not only kills them but also destroys flea eggs from hatching and breaks flea-cycle. The solution also includes aloe to provide soothing relief and stop itchy and irritated skin.
Moreover, you can use this spray on a dog’s bed, floor, sofas, and everywhere where your dog visits for future precaution. It is a weekly preventative treatment, so you need to apply it after every 7 days.
The tick spray ensures optimum results and averts your beloved pet from getting sick. However, it is recommended for puppies above 12 weeks of age. The spray is available in multiple sizes bottles so that you can buy according to your need.
- Water-based fast-acting spray effectively kills fleas and ticks
- Prevents further infestation by breaking the flea cycle
- Includes aloe to provide relief from itchy skin
- Protects your pet from fleas and ticks up to 7 days
- Recommended for pets above 12 weeks of age
3. Best Budget – Pet Naturals Tick Spray Review
A repellent with natural oils to protect your pet against unwanted fleas and ticks
The Pet Natural Tick Spray for dogs made with all-natural ingredients, considered as the best budget repellent spray available. It is a non-sticky formula that is suitable for all types of pets and their bedding, crate, clothes, and other items that come in contact.
Besides, this tick repellent purified water-based solution is made of natural oils, which are extracted from lemongrass, cinnamon, sesame, and castor. These oils not only protect your pet from fleas and ticks but also have numerous health benefits.
It does not contain any injurious chemicals or drugs, so it is safe to use in your home. Also, it won’t harm your dog if they lick their skin after applying the spray. Moreover, the tick spray has a pleasant and refreshing smell, so even if you use it frequently, your pouch won’t get irritated or annoyed.
The spray is mostly recommended for outdoor use to support extra protection from pesky flies and mosquitoes while your dog runs and plays in the park.
- Non-sticky formula suitable for all types of pets
- Made of natural oils that effectively protect pets from fleas and ticks
- No synthetic chemicals and drugs used, safe for indoor use
- Pleasant and refreshing smell, so it won’t irritate your pouch
- Reapply after every 2-3 days for best results
4. Best Tick Repellent Spray for Dogs – Adams Plus Tick Review
If you want the best tick repellent spray for dogs, Then Adams Plus tick is the ideal option for you. The tick spray contains a blend of three active ingredients Etofenprox, (S)-Methoprene, and Piperonyl Butoxide, which effectively kills fleas, flea eggs, larvae, and ticks.
It provides long-lasting protection by breaking the flea cycle and prevents re-infestation for up to 28 days. Only 5 % of the fleas and ticks are visible through human eyes. However, this product contains an Insect Growth Regulator, which helps to kill 100% fleas and ticks present in your home.
It starts killing fleas within 5 minutes from the time it is applied. Moreover, the spray contains protein, aloe, coconut, and lanolin, which helps groom your pouch and are great for sensitive skin. It also cures flea allergy dermatitis, which is very common in pets.
It comes in a convenient trigger sprinkling bottle, and it is recommended for pups over 12 weeks of age.
- It contains 3 active ingredients that effectively kills fleas and ticks
- Long-lasting protection and prevents re-infestation up to 28 days
- Start killing fleas within 5 minutes from use
- Aloe, lanolin, and coconut for sensitive skin
- Suitable for pups over 12 weeks old
5. Best Natural Tick Spray for Dogs – Wondercide Tick Review
If you want an organic and eco-friendly spray for your pup, then Wondercide Tick is an excellent option because it is the best natural tick spray for dogs available on the market.
This spray is made of naturally-derived therapeutic grade essential oils like lemongrass, cedar, and sesame that effectively kills and repels fleas and ticks by contact.
It eliminates the entire pest life cycle, including eggs and larva, to provide enduring protection. It is a safe dog tick spray, and it does not contain any harsh chemicals, so you can peacefully use this spray inside your home.
You can also use this spray on your carpet, floor, bed, furniture, etc., to kill fleas throughout the house. It is an easy-to-use spray, and the fresh lemongrass scent keeps your pouch calm and less annoyed while applying.
This spray also contains Vitamin E, which is brilliant for enhancing your dog’s fur and keeping them healthy. It is gentle yet powerful, and it is recommended to use the spray every 2-3 days for 100% protection.
- Made with natural and therapeutic grade essential oils
- Proven to eliminate 100% fleas and ticks
- No harsh chemical, entirely safe for indoor use
- Easy-to-use spray with lemongrass scent that keeps pets calm
- Recommended to apply the spray every 2-3 days for best protection
Why Does it Necessary to Buy a Tick Spray for Dogs?
Ticks are common in most of the dogs who spend time outdoors. As a dog owner, you must take it seriously. As soon as you notice a tick, you must check your dog fur to get rid of the ticks. If not treated, your dog may get tick-prone diseases. The sooner you start the treatment, the quicker you are able to prevent the ticks.
The most common months for the ticks to be active are March to May and also from August to November. Taking care of the hygiene of your pooch should be your priority and you must not compromise that. There are several ways to get rid of the ticks and the most common way is to use a tick spray. You will find a wide range of tick sprays in the market with different formulas.
Make sure to consult the veterinarian for your dog’s tick problem. Otherwise, he may get Lyme disease which can cause serious consequences to your dog’s health. If you do not have a tick spray for your dog at home, then, you must not wait further and get one. Tick sprays are effective and kill the ticks and fleas within no time if used on a regular basis.
Related Post: Best Dog Poop Training Sprays
Risks Associated with Ticks
These dangerous parasites, called ticks, stick themselves to animals and humans. They do not only feed on their blood but also transmit diseases. If you have noticed ticks on your dog, you must take it seriously. As your innocent dog can’t speak to you about how the ticks are making him uncomfortable, it is important to check his fur on a regular basis.
There are several diseases that are caused by ticks, some of which are:
1) Lyme Disease: One of the transmitted diseases through ticks is called Lyme disease. In this disease, the ticks stick themselves to the host for about 48 hours and transmit bacteria. The signs of illness in the animals can occur after 2 or more months. To avoid any risks, make sure to bathe your dog after a walk in the park or forest.
2) Ehrlichiosis: Canine Ehrlichiosis is another dangerous disease that is caused by different types of ticks. If you are noticing signs such as fever, poor appetite, anemia, or bruises, make sure to take your dog to the veterinarian.
3) Babesiosis: Babesiosis is another dangerous disease that is caused by ticks. If you are noticing the signs of lethargy, pale gums, or dark-colored urine in your dog, you must take him to the veterinarian for a checkup.
How to Use Tick Sprays on Dog’s Body?
The tick spray contains chemicals that kill the parasites. There are different formulas containing different chemicals such as Fipronil and Pyrethrin. Many pet experts recommend using Fipronil as it is safer to use on adult dogs and even puppies.
Using a tick spray on your dog is the most convenient and easy way to prevent ticks from his body. Otherwise, it will lead to some major health problems. Here are the steps to use a tick spray:
- The first thing is to read the instructions on the spray packaging carefully
- Make sure you are not overusing the spray. If the instructions tell you to use it twice or thrice a month, then do not make the mistake of using it every week.
- Hold your pet tightly but not uncomfortably and then start spraying his legs.
- The next thing is to spray his abdomen and chest. Avoid using it on his face.
- Now gradually come to his back and groin area.
- Moreover, take a piece of cloth and spray on it. Use that cloth to spread the formula on his head.
- Once you have applied all over his body, now it is time to ruffle his fur so that you do not miss any skin area.
- Dogs have a habit of licking themselves, make sure you are using an Elizabethan collar to stop them from licking themselves.
Make sure you are following all the instructions correctly. In case, you are not seeing any effective results, take your pet to the veterinarian.
Things to Consider Before Choosing Tick Sprays for Dogs
If your dog is having ticks, then you must not wait any longer and take an action. There are several spray products that you will find in the market. Make sure to choose the best one after doing your research and consulting your veterinarian. Here are the things that you need to consider before buying a tick spray for your dog:
Aerosol vs. Spray Bottle
First of all, you have to look out for the container it is coming in. You will find two popular types of tick spray application methods i.e. aerosol and spray bottle. The aerosol allows you to cover a larger area. You just have to hold the trigger and apply the chemical onto your dog’s body.
The only drawback of using an aerosol is that the formula can get into your dog’s eyes. On the other hand, a spray bottle is also easy to use and provides a precise application but the application needs more time to be done.
There are many tick types that cause different diseases. You need to choose the right spray to kill the ticks. Not every spray will be effective for your dog’s tick problem. It is crucial to do your research before buying a tick spray. Also, consult your veterinarian about the tick repellent that would be suitable for your dog.
Now, the most important factor that you need to consider is if you want a tick spray for your dog or cat? Some tick or flea sprays are suitable for cats but can be harmful to your dog. Make sure you have read the ingredients. One thing that we would like to repeat is that you must consult your veterinarian to avoid any reactions on your dog’s skin.
As mentioned above, there are different active ingredients used in the tick sprays to target and kill different types of ticks. The type of ticks varies from one region to another. Therefore, make sure to choose the tick spray product that can target the tick type in your dog. It is important to do your research and choose the formula that is best suited for your dog’s tick problem.
Price is obviously an important factor for many dog owners to consider. You can find an effective tick spray in the range of $5-$30 easily. Make sure to choose a high-quality product to have instant results. Do not compromise your dog’s health just to save some bucks.
The Time it Takes to Work
You will find a number of tick sprays in the market, some will work in just 5 minutes while others take more time. Ideally, it is important to pick the product that shows instant results.
Last but not the least, you should also consult your veterinarian regarding the age of your dog. If you have a pup that has a tick problem, not all tick repellents would be suitable. Therefore, make sure to consult your vet about the product that you can use on your pup.
More Spray Reviews Here: Best Dog Detangler Spray 2022 – Buying Guide
Benefits of Using Tick Spray for Dogs
Some owners do not take the tick problem seriously until it gets serious. Pests do not only cause itch, spot, redness, but also allergic reactions. Therefore, it is important to check your pet for ticks regularly. As soon as you see any signs, start the tick medication as soon as possible. Here are the benefits of using tick spray for dogs:
- Reduce Allergies: The allergies and infections caused by ticks leave your dog in a very uncomfortable situation. It does not only affect his skin, but also his overall health. The dog has this urge to scratch his body all the time, which he does due to the pests on his body. Constant scratching can cause skin infections that can lead to further health problems.
- Prevent Tick-borne Diseases: Ideally, it is important to start the medication right away. Otherwise, if the ticks are not treated, that increases the risk of some dangerous diseases that include Lyme disease, Canine Ehrlichiosis, Tick Paralysis, and many more.
- Helps you get rid of Tick Infestations in your home: No one likes an unhygienic environment. Your dog having a tick problem, might be sitting on your furniture or playing with your children at home. Therefore, to keep the environment clean at home, it is crucial to use a tick repellent. In addition to that, make sure to clean and vacuum in your home on a regular basis.
More Spray Reviews Here: Best Dog Dental Spray 2022 – Buying Guide
Precautions of Using Tick Spray
There are certain precautions that you must take into consideration while using a tick spray on your pet. As tick sprays contain various chemicals, therefore, it is important to read and follow the instructions correctly.
- First of all, check with your veterinarian if your dog has a history of the disease or any allergic reaction. Also, if your dog is pregnant, nursing, or old. In situations like these, your vet might prohibit you to use a spray instead, suggest you to take out the ticks with the help of a comb.
- Follow the instructions carefully. If the product is made to treat cats, then you cannot use it on your dog.
- Do not overuse the spray on your dog as it can cause a reaction.
- The most important precaution is to wear gloves while applying spray on your dog. Once you are done, do not forget to wash your hands properly and change your clothes.
- Store the product in a safe place as instructed by the company.
If your dog is new to the product, make sure to notice any signs he is showing that include:
- Loss of appetite
- Or, even seizure
If your dog has a reaction, take him to the veterinarian as soon as possible.
More Spray Reviews Here: Best Anti Chew Dog Spray 2022 – Buying Guide
Some Important Tips
There are different tick spray formulas that you will find in the market. Some people prefer using natural tick spray. Choose the product that is effective and showing instant results. We have brought some important tips for you that will be helpful while using a tick spray:
- Always make sure to target all the important areas such as area under the leash and back side of the legs.
- You can use a combination of tick spray and also tick shampoo for better results
- Do not forget to keep the dog accessories clean as well as they might contain hidden ticks
- It is important to groom your dog daily so that he does not catch ticks or fleas
- Make sure to change your clothes after treating your dog or bathing him
Catching ticks is common among dogs. If you are petting a dog, his cleanliness must be your top priority. A dog needs to be taken out for daily walks but you need to make sure to give him a bath once you are back.
In case, your pooch has caught ticks, make sure to start the treatment right away. Otherwise, it can lead to some serious health issues. We hope that this article was helpful for you. If you have any questions regarding tick sprays, check our FAQ section.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are tick sprays for dogs?
Tick sprays are the medicated sprays created to kill the pests on the dog’s body. A tick spray effectively works on eggs, nymphs, and also tick adults.
How does it work?
The chemicals used in the tick spray is works to prevent the tick infestation. There are different types of tick sprays that you can find in the market. These sprays are made to target different types of ticks.
What makes a dog tick repellent effective?
The tick sprays that start working from the very start, are effective. An effective tick repellent does not give any skin reaction to your dog and shows long-terms effects.
How do you get rid of ticks?
The best solution to killing the eggs, nymph, and adult ticks is to use the tick spray regularly. Make sure to choose the right product for your dog that is effective and showing instant results.
Are ticks spray safe for dogs?
Yes, tick sprays are specifically created for the dogs which make them safe for them. Make sure to choose the formula that does not contain harsh chemicals. Also, consult with your veterinarian before choosing a tick spray.
What is the best organic tick spray for dogs?
If you want to go for a top-quality organic tick spray for dogs, Wondercide Tick Spray is the perfect option for you. It targets even the eggs and stops the pest life cycle. This spray is completely safe to use on and does not give any skin reaction.
Does tick spray kill eggs?
Yes, the tick spray kills the eggs, nymphs, and adult ticks. Make sure to choose the effective product for your dog. It is important to consult your veterinarian before choosing a tick spray.
What are the negative impacts of using dog tick spray?
Some tick sprays have harsh chemicals that can give your dog a reaction. Therefore, it is crucial to read the description and active ingredients to check if the product is safe to use. In case you are noticing any signs of allergic reaction, take your dog to the veterinarian immediately.
How much does the tick spray cost?
The tick spray can cost you between $5 and $30. The cost should not be your top priority in fact, make sure to choose the best-suited product for your pooch for effective results.