Anti chew dog sprays are proved to be the most effective method to secure your valuable possessions from the teeth marks of your feisty little four-legged pals. Chewing is a completely natural behavior of dogs which even helps in strengthening their jaws and is beneficial for their teeth, but when it comes to then chewing on your furniture or your favorite shoes, you cannot help but be a little concerned.
As dogs are unable to distinguish between which stuff is appropriate and which is not so it is the job of the owners to help them with this. It contains a liquid that is bad-tasting but is harmless to the dog.
When you spray it on the surfaces such as furniture, electric wires, or your shoes, your dog gets repelled from them due to the unpleasant taste of this, and in that way your belongings get protected. While buying this anti-chew spray, you need to make sure that it’s actually working on your dog and doing its job which is to stop him from licking or chewing the sprayed objects.
In order for this to happen, you should be keeping an eye on your dog and the way it is reacting to the objects when you spray them for the very first time. To help you pick the quality spray available in the market, our team researched and picked the 10 best anti chew dog sprays for you to make your choice from.
Click to View Post Navigation
- 1 Top 5 Anti Chew Dog Sprays in 2022 – Comparisons
- 2 Best Anti Chew Dog Sprays in 2022 – Reviews
- 2.1 1. Our Top Pick – Grannick’s Anti Chew Dog Spray Review
- 2.2 2. Runner Up – Bodhi Dog Anti Chew Spray Review
- 2.3 3. Best Budget – The Company of Animals Dog Anti Chew Spray Review
- 2.4 4. Best Anti Chew Dog Training Spray – Pets Are Kids Too Review
- 2.5 5. Best Anti Chew Spray for Puppies – Emmy’s Best Pet Products Review
- 3 What is Anti Chew Dog Spray?
- 4 How Does Anti Chew Dog Spray Work?
- 5 How to Apply Anti Chew Spray on Dogs?
- 6 Factors to Consider Before Choosing an Anti-Chew Dog Spray
- 7 Benefits of Using Anti Chew Dog Spray
- 8 Precautions for Using Anti Chew Dog Spray
- 9 Some Important Tips
- 10 Final Thoughts
- 11 Frequently Asked Questions
Top 5 Anti Chew Dog Sprays in 2022 – Comparisons
|Image||Product Name||Key Features|
|Check On Amazon|
|Check On Amazon|
|Check On Amazon|
|Check On Amazon|
|Check On Amazon|
Best Anti Chew Dog Sprays in 2022 – Reviews
1. Our Top Pick – Grannick’s Anti Chew Dog Spray Review
Green apple flavored spray effectively discourages pets from licking or chewing anything.
Grannick’s Spray is considered as the best on the market which includes water, isopropanol, bitter principles, and extracts. It is one of the safest and non-toxic solutions, so it won’t cause any harm to your pouch.
You can use this on problematic areas to stop your pet from licking or chewing those areas. It also discourages your dog from returning to biting that spot in the future. Besides, this bitter apple spray is designed to ensure your pet gets intimidated from doing naughty stuff and destroys your precious items.
It is an easy-to-use anti-chew spray; you can easily apply it on beds, rugs, shoes, and other household furniture that your dog is fond of chewing. You can also sprinkle this solution on your dog’s skin or wound to deter him from licking.
However, it contains alcohol, so it is recommended to consult a vet before using it. The mixture’s strong aroma dissipates within a minute, so your dog will not feel annoyed or discomfort. It is a great product to train your dog and stop them from destroying things.
- No harmful or toxic ingredients used, completely safe
- Stop your pet from licking and chewing prone areas
- Intimidate dogs from destroying beds, rugs, shoes, furniture, etc.
- It can be used on all types of surfaces
- Available in multiple sizes and suitable for all age dogs
What We Like:
- The original spray you can use directly
- Discourages dogs from biting fur or chewing hair
- Water, Isopropanol, Bitter is the main ingredient
- A simple spry over surfaces discourage your pooch from chewing
- Very impressive, works well also for cats
What We Don’t Like:
- Not appropriate for all dogs
2. Runner Up – Bodhi Dog Anti Chew Spray Review
Natural anti-chew pet spray that is safe to use on both interior and exterior of your house.
The Bodhi is undoubtedly a great and effective product, and it holds a runner-up position in this list. This bitter lemon spray is made of 100% natural ingredients, and it is a gentle and humane alternative to harsh training methods.
You will not need to yell, scare, or beat your pup to stop them from chewing your stuff; simply spray the surface to keep him away. Besides, this is non-toxic and safe and does not contain any harmful chemicals or additives that might worsen your pet’s health.
Moreover, the naturally bitter and lemon extracts formula makes an unpleasant smell and taste that discourages dogs from returning to the sprayed spot. It is also ideal for pets with allergies and other skin-related issues.
It does not cause any irritation or skin redness while spraying the solution on your dog’s fur, skin, or wound. However, because of the strong smell, it is recommended to use in a well-ventilated area.
Also, it can be used on all kinds of surfaces like rugs, beds, couches, curtains, chairs, power cords, leash, clothing, furniture, etc. It is available in multiple sizes and comes in eco-friendly recyclable packaging.
- 100% natural ingredients, and a gentle and humane way to train your dog
- Completely safe, no harmful chemical or additives used
- Discourages pets from chewing or licking sprayed areas
- Great for dogs suffering from allergies or other skin related issues
- Suitable for all types of surfaces and comes in an eco-friendly packaging
What We Like:
- Formulated with all natural extracts
- Safe to use on furniture, clothing, or houseplants
- Totally harmless for pregnant dogs
- Useable for both interior and exterior of your home
- Proudly made in the USA
What We Don’t Like:
- Works less on puppies like Shih Tzu
3. Best Budget – The Company of Animals Dog Anti Chew Spray Review
Emits a quick burst to distract pets and stop them from doing inappropriate behavior
The Company of Animals Pet Corrector is famous for producing the best budget-friendly bitter cherry chew deterrent spray for dogs. It is an efficient and effective item that not only keeps away dogs from chewing unnecessary things but also stops them from doing improper behavior.
The spray retrains dogs by emitting a hissing sound that acts as a warning, distracting them from chewing. It is a humane way to train your dog on behaving properly and listening to your basic commands.
Moreover, this non-chew spray is 100% safe and does not contain any harmful chemicals. Animal behaviorists highly recommend this product, and it is functional for dogs of all ages and breeds.
This also helps your pouch stop excessive barking, jumping, digging, and even stealing food. However, the item is not recommended for small puppies and should never be pointed directly at your pet.
- Produce a hissing sound to distract your pet from chewing
- No harmful chemical used, completely safe for all animals
- Humane way to train your dog to listen to your command
- Highly recommended by behaviorists and trainers
- It helps the pouch to stop barking, jumping, digging, etc.
What We Like:
- Helps dogs to stop excessive barking behavior
- Great for dog training and behavior correction
- You can use this in general correlation
- The amazing product, great for noisy dogs
- No shock, no chemical; a pain free training tool
What We Don’t Like:
- Should only be used by adult dogs
4. Best Anti Chew Dog Training Spray – Pets Are Kids Too Review
Renowned for its super bitter taste, the Pets Are Kids Too spray is the best anti-chew training spray for dogs available on the market. This is effective and quick when it comes to training your aggressive chewer or licker pet.
It will help you to break your pet’s bad habits and teach them to obey your commands. The triple bitter taste will humanely keep your dog away from biting, gnawing, and chewing.
Besides, the solution is made with a natural bittering agent, and unlike other anti-chew sprays, it does not contain any harmful ingredients, so it is totally safe to use on your pouch.
In addition, it is alcohol-free and glycol-free, which means it is safe to use on furniture, clothes, rugs, bandages, power cords, and other household items.
Also, the mess-free spray dispenser allows you to perfectly apply the solution on areas you want your pet to stop chewing. It is recommended to wash your hands nicely after each use and be careful not to inhale the solution. Use it in a well-ventilated room for maximum results for your dog.
- Triple bitter effective and quick training dog spray
- Made with a human-grade bittering agent for pet’s safety
- No alcohol or propylene glycol, safe to use on household items
- It comes in an easy-to-use mess-free spray dispenser
- Suitable for all dog breeds and other pets
What We Like:
- The premium anti-chew bitter spray for dogs
- There is no alcohol or no propylene glycole is used
- This humane grade product is completely made in the USA
- cruelty free product ensures 3 times extra strength
- Very easy to use over the desired area to stop chewing
What We Don’t Like:
- Sometimes dogs may feel nauseous
5. Best Anti Chew Spray for Puppies – Emmy’s Best Pet Products Review
If you are looking for the best anti-chew spray for puppies, then the Emmy is the right option for you to choose. This 3X strong anti-chew formula is one of the most powerful bitter deterrents that effectively get your pet to re-think their chewing and licking behavior.
It consists of lemongrass oil and other bitter agents, which perfectly works for both small puppies and matured dogs. It is alcohol-free and completely safe for your chew-prone pet.
Besides, the mess-free convenient spray bottle makes applying and using the solution easily. The deterrent spray is specially designed to train your pouch and stop them from inappropriate chewing and licking.
The product also comes with 14 days easy to implement training program so that you can get control over your dog’s chewing habits quickly.
Moreover, this can be used on a wide range of products from pet beds, clothing, floor to furniture, and other households. The company provides a 100% satisfaction guarantee for 1 year so that you can easily get your money back if you do not like the product.
- The strong anti-chew formula that prevents pets from chewing and biting
- Alcohol-free, safe, and works for all breeds of dogs
- The mess-free and convenient bottle makes applying a breeze
- Designed to train pups and comes with a 14 days training program
- 100% satisfaction guarantee for 1 year
What We Like:
- Three times stronger than other anti-chew spray
- Ensures superior quality not filler or additives
- Stop dogs from destroying furniture, shoes, and other chew things
- Easy to spry on pet’s paws and other body parts
- Made in the USA
What We Don’t Like:
- It may dangerous if contact with pet eyes
What is Anti Chew Dog Spray?
An anti-chew spray is not considered a dog repellant. The function of a dog repellant is to keep the dog from going into specific areas of the house whereas when you apply an anti-chew drug onto something, your dog still gets near to it except he won’t bite it this time.
When the dog tries to pick up or lick that specific object, its tongue gets in contact with the bitter taste of the spray and thus it decides not to bite or chew on it.
The used ingredients would not have a bad impact on your dog’s health so there is no need to worry about that part. The only way the spray will keep your dog away would be its bitter taste that your dog won’t happen to like.
These are mostly made up of butter extracts of fruits and other harmless ingredients that once sprayed on a surface would protect it from your dog’s vicious chewing but in the other hand won’t affect his health.
Hence an anti-chew spray is an ideal way to protect your belongings from getting torn or completely destroyed by exceeding chewing.
Related Post: Best Dog Poop Training Sprays
How Does Anti Chew Dog Spray Work?
Dogs, especially young puppies have a tendency to chew on any foreign object that they find interesting, whether it be your furniture, your shoes or any other valuable object. Most of the time, just yelling at them doesn’t stop them from digging their teeth into the things that they are not supposed to chew.
In that case, the anti-chew sprays come in very handy. The working phenomenon is very simple. When you apply it to any object, it leaves a bitter taste on the surface.
When your dog tries to bite or lick that certain object, their tongue would come in contact with that unpleasant taste and they will automatically fall back, and the dog is even discouraged from returning to chew that same spot that has been sprayed.
How to Apply Anti Chew Spray on Dogs?
If your dog has recently gotten an injury or a surgery that involved stitches, your dog is most likely to bite or lick that specific area due to the uncomfortable feeling. Specially licking continuously onto an itchy spot could even worsen the situation.
In order to stop your dog from doing that a better alternative to the pet cone is the anti-chew dog spray. When you apply this on the dog’s wound or injury, after licking it one time the dog won’t do that again because of the bitter taste of the spray that is now covering his skin.
In this way, the wound would get the proper time to heal. These don’t have a harmful impact on the wounds or the skin of the dog. So just spray a single coat on either of your furniture or any dog wound that you are trying to protect, and the job is done. If that place has been wiped or washed, you might want to apply it again.
Factors to Consider Before Choosing an Anti-Chew Dog Spray
If you’re opting for an anti-chew spray, there are certain things that you must keep in mind before buying one because you need to make sure that you’re getting nothing but the best for your little friend.
One of the most important factors is the safety of your dog without any doubt. It must be your first priority. When it comes to anti-chewing purpose, the thing you must keep in mind is that whatever surface you’re going to put it on, your dog is still going to lick it at the first time and actually he will be ingesting some of that spray.
So, to make sure that nothing harmful is entering your dog’s body, you need to make sure that the item you’re buying doesn’t contain any toxic ingredients, it should only be made of safe, natural, non-toxic ingredients.
The second most important thing is the performance. The spray that you’re buying needs to be constantly effective. To judge the fact that is actually working, you need to keep an eye on your dog when it goes near to the sprayed object and how it’s reacting to it.
This process may require some trial and error for example some dogs love the flavor of lemon while others don’t, so the spray contains the lemon isn’t gonna be effective on the dogs that love lemon flavor, it is only going to repell the ones that don’t like it.
Type of Spray
Anti-chew sprays are not only taste and scent-based, but they are sound-based as well. If you notice that your dog is more sensitive to sounds than taste, maybe such a category of spray works the best for you.
Method of Application
Always pick a product that is easy to apply and does not have a long list of instructions. The easy application saves your time and also serves the purpose well.
Your Dog’s Choice
For example, you might consider a lemon spray but if your dog likes the citrus taste then it is going to be a waste of money. So, you must know what repels your dog and what does not. Only then you can pick a spray that will have a positive effect.
Taste and Scent
Always check the taste and scent of the spray you are buying. This is important because that is what is going to stop your dog from chewing and licking the sprayed objects. Look for something very peculiar and that should definitely make your dog stay away.
Some sprays might not work because they are volatile or low quality. Some cheap products can just vanish as they are too liquid or highly volatile. So always make sure the liquid stays on a surface for a longer duration to be equally effective.
Benefits of Using Anti Chew Dog Spray
If your puppy is continuously digging its teeth into your precious belongings then it’s about time you should start using an anti-chew dog spray on your household objects to protect them from getting teeth marks here and there.
A naturally formulated, biodegradable and non-toxic spray is the best option you could go for which also has the following benefits:
- Wound Protection: In case of wounds or dressings, the dogs often start to lick that area due to the uncomfortable feeling which might affect the process of healing. If sprayed on such areas, anti-chew spray would actually keep the dogs from biting or licking their wounds and they would get the proper time to heal.
- Good for Puppies: Puppies who are going through the teething process, start chewing on objects that they are not supposed to be chewed, just to relieve the uncomfortable feeling in their gums that starts to grow because of the incoming teeth. In order to stop them from doing that, anti-chew spray comes in very handy.
- Does not leave stains: Most of them are non-staining which means your fine wood furniture’s fabric won’t get those ugly stains.
- Non-toxic formulation: Most of the anti-chew items are biodegradable and non-toxic so that you won’t have to compromise on your puppy’s health as well as the environment.
- Multipurpose for other pets too: Even though these are formulated for dogs, they can be used for other animals as well to stop unwanted chewing and biting.
Precautions for Using Anti Chew Dog Spray
In order to make sure that this spray is working effectively and safe for your dog, it must be used correctly. Following are some basic steps that you can follow while using this:
Don’t apply directly onto the dog’s face: Some people might think that applying the bitter spray in the dog’s face is a way of punishing them and it might teach them manners that are not true.
The ingredients that are used to make the taste bad and bitter can also be irritating to sensitive body parts such as the eyes. It may be quite dangerous to apply them in the face as if the spray gets in contact with the eyes, it can cause serious irritation.
Don’t apply it on yourself: Some puppies tend to bite the hands and feet of their owners for the first few months of their lives but using the spray to stop them from doing this is not a good option.
Your puppy must find your presence comforting for them otherwise there will be a gap created, and you certainly don’t want them to associate your body with the foul taste of an anti-chew dog spray.
Don’t apply directly into the dog’s mouth: Again, spraying near your dog’s face can end up being quite dangerous for them. There might be some ingredients that are not meant to be ingested in a greater quantity for your dog. Secondly, it is not a way to punish your dog and it won’t teach them anything.
Don’t apply the entire house: Some people go with spraying everything in their house with the anti-chew dog spray which is not good as it will end up being ineffective. Only the things that your dog chews need to be sprayed with.
Some Important Tips
If you never opted for an anti-chew dog spray before, there are some things that you must keep in mind:
- Always choose one that is made up of natural and non-toxic elements.
- As your dog is going to be ingesting, you need to make sure that there is no harm is being done to its health.
- Keep the sprayed object in your sight to observe how your dog is reacting to it. Sometimes the dogs might like the sour taste of the spray and it doesn’t stop them from chewing the object.
- You need to make sure that the spray you’re buying is actually doing its job.
- Avoid using near your dog’s face. The spray might contain some ingredients which if comes in contact with the dog’s eyes or goes directly into its mouth, can cause serious irritation or other health-related problems.
Some people stop their dogs from chewing onto their stuff by either yelling at them or punishing them, which is not quite effective. A little training being provided and the use of an effective anti-chew dog spray really does the work for you.
It not only protects your stuff from being ruined with teeth marks but is also a much more humane way of training your dogs from digging their teeth in the objects they are not supposed to and which might end up being harmful to them.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why do dogs chew?
It is quite normal for dogs to chew on objects as it is their way of exploring the world. Puppies chew mostly because they are going through the teething process and chewing helps them to relieve the pain that is caused by the incoming teeth. For other dogs it’s just a way to get rid of boredom or to just release frustration.
What is the taste of anti-chew dog spray?
These are very bitter and sour in taste which dogs don’t like at all. Besides their unpleasant taste, they are completely harmless to your dog.
Who should buy anti chew dog spray?
The people who have young dogs and are concerned for them chewing onto anything that comes in their sight or those people who just have aggressive chewing dogs that are becoming the reason for destroyed household objects should consider buying this spray.
Can I use anti-chew dog spray for puppies?
Yes, these can be used for puppies. First try to train your puppy that chewing on the objects that it’s not supposed to chew, is completely unwanted. For further discouraging him, try using these on objects.
Is anti-chew spray safe for puppies?
Most of them are suitable for all age dogs, however, make sure to check how your dog reacts to the taste when you use it for the first time.
Can I make anti-chew dog spray at home?
Yes, it is possible for you to make an anti-chew dog spray at home. You can either use strong citrus flavors or apple cider vinegar for the spray. However, you need to make sure that you are creating a safe solution for your pet as well as the items that you are going to apply.
How often should spray?
It needs to be applied for two to four weeks continuously to make sure that your dog is no longer going back to those objects.
Is there any negative impact of anti-chew dog spray?
There is no negative impact as long as you are following all the necessary directions and precautions. If you have picked the right formula which is not toxic, then you won’t have to worry about your dog’s health at all.
Is it essential to follow veterinarian’s guide to use dog flea spray?
Yes, it is essential to follow the vet’s guideline to use dog flea spray in order to make sure that whether your dog is taking other drugs, is sick, pregnant or nursing, has a history of seizures or is allergic to flea products.