Cat pheromone sprays can be a quick solution for cat behavior problems like scratching and marking. Felines are proud animals, and they do tend to get along with their owners quite well. However, as pet parents, we can sometimes notice nervousness and anxiety in our beloved pet’s behavior.
It uses particular synthetic chemicals to induce a feeling of calm and protection in your feline. Since these mimics the original pheromones, you can also use them for training your cat to go to a fixed spot for urinating. However, not every pheromone spray can be effective for all cats. The effectiveness depends on your feline’s preferences and the spray type.
With so many options, it can be challenging to zero in on the best option. To help you in your quest, our team of experts has spent hours creating a list of the top 10 best cat pheromone sprays. These have been selected on the basis of the scents used, customer reviews, purpose, quantity, and ease of usage.
Click to View Post Navigation
- 1 Top 7 Cat Pheromone Sprays in 2021 – Comparisons
- 1.1 1. Our Top Pick – Feliway Cat Pheromone Spray Review
- 1.2 2. Runner Up – Pet MasterMind Cat Spray Review
- 1.3 3. Best Budget – Nature’s Miracle Cat Calming Spray Review
- 1.4 4. Best Diffuser Cat Pheromone Spray – Comfort Zone Review
- 1.5 5. Best Cat Calming Pheromone Spray – Relaxivet Review
- 1.6 6. Best Cat Pheromone Spray for Travel – CEVA Animal Health Review
- 1.7 7. Best Cat Pheromone Spray for Scratching – Comfort Zone Spray Review
- 2 Why is it Essential to Buy Cat Pheromone Sprays?
- 3 How to Use Cat Pheromone Sprays?
- 4 Things to Consider Before Choosing Cat Pheromone Sprays
- 5 Benefits of Using Cat Pheromone Sprays
- 6 Precautions about Using Cat Pheromone Sprays
- 7 Some Important Tips
- 8 Final Thoughts
- 9 Frequently Asked Questions
Top 7 Cat Pheromone Sprays in 2021 – Comparisons
|Image||Product Name||Key Features|
|Check On Amazon|
|Check On Amazon|
|Check On Amazon|
|Check On Amazon|
|Check On Amazon|
|Check On Amazon|
|Check On Amazon|
1. Our Top Pick – Feliway Cat Pheromone Spray Review
Spray mimics natural pheromone which is clinically verified to diminish scratching and pet urine
Cat Feliway Pheromone Spray is the best option to acquire a fast-correctional mode in your four-legged friend. This product is Our Top Pick, it is clinically proven to help reduce tension and prevent unwanted behaviors that your cat might display as a result of stress. Also, factors such as change of environment, loud noise, long trips, and loneliness can create anxiety in your cat thus this spray help relieve and eliminate stress.
The Feliway contains synthetic cat pheromone which when sensed by your cat brings a signal that they are in safe hands. Furthermore, this product helps deter your cat from urinating around the house and also prevents him from scratching your belongings. The is drug-free and safe for your furry friend, it does not cause any form of irritation or allergies and recommended to stop unwanted behavior and experience.
This formula naturally gives your cat a soothing effect and happy message by impersonating the natural feline reassuring messages to keep your cat calm and temperate. Also, most cats love to hide thus this spray is a simple way to push them out of the hiding place and make them visible to cat owners. In addition, this formula is a working solution to bring an end to constant conflict between household cats, and it naturally calms aggressive cats.
Additionally, it is safe for humans and can also be applied on properties such as car, fabric, furniture, and rugs. Also, the product is odorless thus it leaves no offensive odor that can irritate you and your furry friend. This is a non-staining formula and is easy to apply.
- Helps reduce scratching and urine spraying
- It is vet recommended and clinically approved
- Safe for cat and human use
- Reduce stress and anxiety
- Odorless and colorless formula
2. Runner Up – Pet MasterMind Cat Spray Review
Made from purely extra-potent Canadian-grown catnip and no need for a cleanup
Pet MaterMind Cat Spray is a formula that provides calmness and knocks out the bad behavioral patterns in your cat. This product is selected as the Runner Up and gives the best result by keeping your cat in restricted areas.
Also, it is a great formula to keep your cat from continuously scratching and destroying your valuables. In addition, it serves as a soothing agent with the ability to induce sleep during travel.
This brand is made of natural herbal ingredients that naturally prevents your cat from approaching restricted areas and features calming a remedy to reduces anxiety and stress for your four-legged friend.
Additionally, the product is also suitable to promote harmony between household cats that loves to pick on each other. Also, the formula goes perfectly for both internal and external use.
Furthermore, the product is safe and effective; it is non-toxic and harmless thus it can be applied with no worries for allergies and irritation. The formula is suitable and can be applied on furniture, cat pleasure spot, carpet, and all kinds of surfaces.
In addition, this is scent-free thus it is suitable for cat and pet owners with sensitive nose. The product is a color free formula with zero tendencies to stain your properties.
Finally, the formula comes in a portable ergonomic container which makes spraying an easy task for purchasers. Also, the spray in no way leaves your cat in a messy condition.
- Reduces stress and promotes calmness
- Deters cats from scratching
- Non-toxic and chemical free
- Colorless and odorless formula
- You do not need to cleanup
3. Best Budget – Nature’s Miracle Cat Calming Spray Review
Non-sedating formula, reduces hyperactivity and safe for pets and children
Nature’s Miracle Cat Calming Spray is a recommended formula to help eliminate the behavior that your cat puts up due to stress and anxiety. This product is the Best Budget for pet owners who desire a simpler correctional approach for their cats and loves to have a happy cat around the house. Furthermore, the formula is highly concentrated thus it produces a long lasting positive on your cat.
Nature’s Miracle Cat Calming is made from natural extracts and essential oil that help promote relaxation and reduces hyper activeness in your cat. Additionally, the formula contains a soothing scent that when inhaled helps calm your cat and reduce anxiety. Also, this helps your cat easily adapt to new environment and change in daily routine. In addition, the product is sedative free but equally offers your cat comfort and safety.
The brand is non-toxic and has no negative effect or allergies thus it is a safe formula for cats and children if applied as directed. Again, the spray has a nice smell that keeps the atmosphere of your home calm and welcoming. Additionally, the product is stain free and can safely be applied on doorways, fabrics and carpet. It is easy to apply and comes in a portable bottle to enhance easy carriage.
Finally, this formula deters your cat from urinating in the home and also prevents him from scratching your belongings. In addition, the product helps calm aggressive pet that loves to pick on other pets in the house.
- Safe for pets and children
- Non-sedative cat calming formula
- Reduces stress and hyper activeness
- Contains soothing scent
- Colorless and easy to apply
4. Best Diffuser Cat Pheromone Spray – Comfort Zone Review
Cat owner who desires a newly improved and innovative cat spray should purchase Comfort Zone Brand which we recommend as the Best Diffuser Cat Pheromone Spray. This improved formula is a diffuser that circulates your home to calm your cat and make him feel safe and secured. Also, it saves cat owner the stress and time to spray around, all you need to do is simply plug the diffuser around your cat’s favorite sport or comfort zone.
Comfort Zone has natural calming pheromones that help eliminate stress and gently make your cat adapt to a new environment and routine. In addition, the product helps deter your cat from urinating and marking territory around the house, it also helps prevent destructive scratching of your valuables by your cat. Additionally, this product contains two times calming pheromones compared to other similar products and each diffuser has the ability to cover your home for 30days.
Furthermore, this solution is drug free and non-toxic, it is a safe formula for your cat and can also be used around the home; it has no offensive smell or allergies. Also, the formula improves positive behavioral patterns and gives visible results in two weeks. In addition, the product is easy to use and it comes in a portable container. The product is colorless thus it has no staining effect on your belongings.
- Creates calm and safe environment
- Promotes positive behavior
- Suitable for all cat breeds
- Drug free and non-toxic solution
- Diffuser lasts for 30 days
5. Best Cat Calming Pheromone Spray – Relaxivet Review
Cat owners in search of a formula to ease their furry friend and eliminate tension should go for Relaxivet Brand which we suggest as the Best Cat Calming Spray. This product is an effective solution that has the ability to calm your toughest cat. Also, it has fast action and works immediately you apply it on your cat.
It saves you the worries of having to deal with unwanted behavior that cats display due to stress. Relaxivet is formulated with unique natural ingredients and pheromone which when sensed by your cat reduces anxiety and panic.
The product generates calming effect for about six hours, this greatly works for pets on a journey or during a change in environment and makes you enjoy every single moment with your furry friend. Additionally, this includes a non-stress and non-toxic formula that does not bring allergies or leave your cat in a mess.
Furthermore, this product gives a final solution and calm household cats that are always picking on each other. In addition, the product is pet safe and can also be applied on around the house, it is a colorless formula would not discolor your properties.
Also, the formula comes in a portable bottle which makes it easy to carry around. It is easy to apply and deters your cat from bad habits.
- Correct unwanted behavior
- Reduces tension and eliminates the effect of stress
- Soothes and calm aggressive cats
- Fast action formula
- Easy to use
6. Best Cat Pheromone Spray for Travel – CEVA Animal Health Review
Cat owners who want a stress-free travel with their four-legged friend should consider CEVA Pheromone Spray as the best for travel. This formula reduces tension and prevents your cat from destructively scratching your properties and doing his business inside your home.
It eliminates unwanted behavior that comes along with panic, stress and anxiety. This product is veterinarian recommended and effective. CEVA Animal Health spray formulated with calming pheromones which naturally help your cat easily adapt to new situations.
Furthermore, the product has no toxic content; it is safe for pets and household use without making you and your cat uncomfortable. It is helpful to bring out cats from their hiding places and also calm aggressive pets that love to pick on other pets in the house.
Additionally, formula puts away fear and give makes your cat feel safe and comfortable around the house. Also, it is suitable for all cats and shows forth a positive result in seven days.
The formula is colorless and effective thus it can be sprayed into your car, carpets, cat carrier and other belongings. Moreover, this stress formula is odorless thus it is suitable for pets and pet owners with sensitive nose.
- Reduces destructive scratching and urine spraying
- Reduces tension and anxiety
- Colorless and odorless cat calming formula
- Non-toxic solution
- Makes travel stress free
7. Best Cat Pheromone Spray for Scratching – Comfort Zone Spray Review
Creating a calm environment for your cat naturally keeps him off unwanted behavior and makes having him around ever fun. We recommend Comfort Zone Brand as the Best Cat Pheromone Spray for Scratching which prevents cats from urinating and messing up your home.
In addition, the product is a perfect solution to treat spots where your cat loves to target and help reduce stress and anxiety. This brand is a water-based solution with natural calming pheromones which signals safety and comfort to your cat.
Most importantly, the formula is drug free and non-toxic hence it is safe for all cat breeds and ages. The product is human safe and can also be applied on doorways, fabrics and inside the car. Furthermore, it is suitable to make travelling along with your cat interesting and stress free.
Moreover, the formula works fast and supports your cat’s emotional wellness. Also, the vapor of the spray is odorless thus it produces no offensive smell around the house. It is stain-free and this makes the product safe for surfaces with sensitive colors. Additionally, this comes in a portable and ergonomic bottle with an easy spray cover.
- Non-staining and odorless
- Effective for all cat breeds
- Reduces urine spraying and scratching
- Safe to use around the house
- Fast result and easy to spray formula
Why is it Essential to Buy Cat Pheromone Sprays?
Before knowing why you might need to use these sprays, let’s first get to know what pheromones are. These are chemical signals that cats and many other animals release as a means of communication. These pheromones can induce a feeling of calm in young kittens when released by the mother.
Similarly, a cat may be using these to mark a certain place as his territory, and this mostly involves urinating. That’s right if your feline does his business all around the house other than the place you tell him to, it means your cat is actually marking boundaries and claiming the entire house. This is where the pheromone sprays come in, and you may need them for any of the following reasons:
- To Deal with Cat Anxiety: A cat pheromone spray is usually for anxious felines. If you feel like your cat is suffering from loneliness and anxiety, using such a spray can help him calm down. This can also reduce other destructive behavior like aggressiveness towards other pets and scratching on your favorite furniture. The used chemicals mimic the natural pheromones and have specific scents that send reassuring messages. Mostly these scents aren’t detected by humans, and only cats pick these scents because of their sharper senses.
- Help Younger Pets Feel At Home: If your little kitten is having a hard time adapting to the new environment, it is possible that by using a pheromone spray, your pet can feel as if he is close to his mother. Changes in the environment are likely to cause anxiety in pets. Therefore, you can also use these if you have just moved houses or brought a new pet to the house.
- To Prevent your Feline From Going to Certain Places: If you are training your feline for doing his business in the appropriate place, you can use special pheromone sprays that are meant to repel pests. Unlike others, these use scents that cats specifically dislike, and you can use these near your closet, in the living room, or any place you do not want your cat to go. This makes house-breaking training a lot easier.
How to Use Cat Pheromone Sprays?
These come in a variety of scents, and a single type is not effective for all pets. Therefore, before getting a spray, you should know that the first usage will always be the trial time. You can follow these steps to get the most outcome.
Step 1: Locate the area where you find your pet getting most stressed. If your feline tends to scratch your furniture, you will be using it on the said furniture. If you plan on introducing a new pet in the house, consider using a spray on the meeting place.
Lastly, some felines are afraid of visiting a vet. Whenever it comes to using the carrier, they’ll do whatever they can to show the distress. In such cases, you can also use it in the carrier and crate.
Step 2: Clean the surface and get your cat away from there. While pheromone sprays are mostly safe, it is best to clean the surfaces before using them. In the case of clothing, you can use it as it is; however, if you are sprinkling it in a place where your cat has urinated, you should clean the place before the application.
Step 3: Use the Spray on the table and chair surfaces, especially in the places where your cat can reach.
Step 4: Wait and let the spray take effect. That’s right, different pheromone sprays take different times to take effect. Some are quick and can calm your pet within 10-15 minutes; others can take longer.
Lastly, alcohol-based sprays tend to last less long as compared to oil-based options. When you find that the pheromone effects are over, you can spray that area again.
Things to Consider Before Choosing Cat Pheromone Sprays
Now that you know how to use a spray let us look at the few important factors to keep in mind when purchasing this.
The first and the most important thing to look for is the right ingredients. Ideally, the used ingredients should be safe, quick to take effect, and long-lasting. Usually, these are synthetically made pheromones. Mostly these are artificial chemicals, but you can also find herbal products with calming effects.
That said, an herbal spray does not mean that it contains natural ingredients alone. Make sure to read the label carefully and see if there is anything that may induce an allergic reaction. If your feline suffers from skin problems, then it is recommended to go with a light spray.
Pets do all sorts of stuff when they are agitated. As a pet parent, you would want to find a quick, long-lasting solution. Luckily you can find such sprays that last for days. That said, it is recommended to only use a spray when your pet is feeling anxious. If you use it all the time, chances are that your cat will get dependent on it. Therefore, look for one that lasts for a long time, even with a small amount.
How a spray affects your feline can depend on its scent. If your cat is indifferent to the smell, then the spray will probably have zero effect as well. Therefore, it is important to look for a special pheromone combination that your cat responds to. Sometimes the use of herbal scents is more effective. However, it mostly depends on your cat’s preferences.
The chemicals mostly used in these sprays aren’t easily detected by humans. However, there are scents that can be too strong. If you are a sensitive person, then you will have to take that into account.
A pheromone spray is used on many surfaces, including floors, furniture, crates, and clothing. It is therefore really important to look for one that doesn’t stain these surfaces.
Condensed vs. Spray
Pheromone formulas are available in both condensed oil forms and spray bottles. We recommend getting bottles as these are more easily sprayed over places like regular surfaces. While the regular spray bottles seem small, even the very little ones contain a good amount of liquid.
Despite the many benefits, you can find a good pheromone spray within 30$. That said, there are both expensive and inexpensive options available. The ideal one works for your feline.
Safe and Designed for Cats
These are designed and meant for cats alone. It is strongly advised to not use on pets of different species. In the same way, when looking for cat pheromone sprays, make sure that it is meant for cats.
Using these sprays for dogs will not have the desired effect and may even be harmful to cats. Lastly, make sure that all the ingredients used are safe for pets and have been subjected to rigorous testing and research.
Quick Effect and Money-Back Guarantee
To have immediate calming effects, it is important that the spray takes effect immediately, most preferably within minutes of spraying. Lastly, if you are looking for a risk-free purchase, then it is a good choice to go with a money-back guarantee. It gives you a chance to try the spray and see if it works for your kitten or not.
Benefits of Using Cat Pheromone Sprays
As a pet parent, it is difficult to see your feline in distress. When disturbed, pets often show destructive behavior, which in turn can upset the owners as well. It is a very simple and easy to use solution for cat anxiety problems and provides you with the following benefits.
- Easy to Use: The first and most obvious benefit of these sprays is that they are super easy to use. You can simply use it on the surface and wait for it to take effect. This method is easier when compared to other ways of dealing with pet anxiety that include collars and medication.
- Natural Method: Pheromones used in these sprays are made by mimicking the natural chemicals and are safe for your cat. You can also find herbal sprays that mostly use natural ingredients, along with a few others. This way, you can be sure that this is safe for use in the house.
- Quick Calming Effects: When sprayed, the natural reassuring signals calm your feline quickly and prevent bad behavior like scratching and territory-marking with ease. You can also use these when taking your pet to the vet for a checkup.
- Helpful in Training: If your kitten is new to using the bathroom, or the lawn, getting such spray can help in training. When combined with treats, you can easily teach your cat to urinate in a certain place and keep your house clean.
More reviews about the best flea sprays for cats
Precautions about Using Cat Pheromone Sprays
- When using a pheromone spray, make sure to use it away from your pet’s face, especially the eyes. The chemicals used may induce an allergic reaction when in direct contact.
- Although made from safe ingredients, it is not recommended to use directly on your cat’s skin.
- Do not use a spray meant for cats on pets of other species.
- Do not use this at all times. Doing so makes your cat immune to the scent.
- A scent too strong can actually disturb pets. Ideally, it should have a light, pleasant smell, one that your feline likes.
- Do not use these on urine. Clean the place before sprinkling the spray.
- Keep it out of reach of children.
- Avoid harsh chemicals and consider getting a natural spray.
- If the scent is an issue, you can also find non-scented sprays.
- If your cat suffers from stomach or skin problems, then it is recommended to consult a veterinarian.
- Do not use these sprays on your pet’s scratching station. That is because as the pheromones reduce scratching behavior, your feline will cease to use it.
More reviews about best cat deterrent sprays
Some Important Tips
- You can also find some automated sprays which can be set in a proper direction. These use embedded sensors to detect your pet and use the pheromones in the air.
- It takes some time to take full effect. Therefore if you plan on taking your cat to the vet for a visit, spray the carrier at least 15 minutes before letting your cat in.
- While it deals with pet anxiety issues, you can also use treats and praise to encourage better behavior.
- Before applying this on to clothing and carpets, make sure the spray doesn’t stain.
- Do not use this if your pet is behaving.
Cats are great pets and tend to get along with their owners; however, they can use some help when it comes to dealing with environmental changes. If you find that your cat is scratching more often than usual or urinates all around the house, it is safe to say that your cat is anxious and disturbed by some recent change in the environment.
Using a pheromone spray can release reassuring messages in the air and help calm your feline. These sprays are an easy to use, quick solution and tend to work for most cats. However, the results aren’t always guaranteed, for they depend on your kitten. Therefore you always have to try it.
Frequently Asked Questions
Question: What is a cat pheromone spray?
Answer: Pheromones are natural chemicals that cats release when they are nursing. These natural signals are a way of communication in felines, and these tend to be reassuring messages. These sprays mimic the natural pheromones are used to calm anxious pets and to prevent them from scratching or other unwanted behavior.
Question: How does it work?
Answer: Much like the natural pheromones, the sprays use chemicals that send calming messages to the cat. This reduces aggression and prevents bad behavior like scratching. In felines, this can also induce the feeling of being close to their mother.
Question: What is the best cat pheromone spray?
Answer: The “Feliway Feline Behavior Spraying Scratching” is the ideal choice and has proven benefits. The Feliway spray has a success rate of 90% and is even recommended by vets. The drug-free solution is safe for cats and gets into effect quickly.
Question: When to use cat pheromone spray?
Answer: It is advised to use the spray when your cat shows signs of anxiety; these can include either scratching on your furniture or marking the entire house. Timing is important when using this, and you should use it only when your pet has such behavior.
Question: How long will it last?
Answer: This timing differs in different cases. However, mostly you only need to spray it once in the appropriate areas and let it be. After 24 hours, you may need to respray it. Some are only effective for up to 6 hours. The timing is also dependent on the surface it is used on. For example, a pheromone spray lasts longer on carpets as compared to the floor.
Question: What is the best calming cat pheromone spray?
Answer: For a quick calming effect, the “Natural Calming Sprays Cats Dogs” is the ideal option. Here used active ingredients calm your kitten within 15 minutes of application, and last for about 6 hours. It is made from safe, natural ingredients and has been tested for safety. You can use this for both cats and dogs.
Question: Can humans smell cat pheromones?
Answer: It depends on the different types. If this only contains pheromones, then you will not smell it. However, there are many scented sprays as well, and these usually have a light, pleasant smell.
Question: What is the best diffuser pheromones spray?
Answer: The “Comfort Zone Diffuser Pheromones Diffuser” is best when it comes to automatic sprinkling. It comes with a 48ml refill that lasts for a month. For the diffuser to work, you can simply plug it into a socket—the pheromones used in this spray target cats alone and do not affect other household pets.
Question: Will cat pheromone spray make my cat sleepy?
Answer: Most of the time it induces a calming effect on your pet; however, these do not contain any sedatives. However, if you do find that your feline gets extra sleepy after using the spray, consider consulting a veterinarian.
Question: Does cat pheromone spray affect humans?
Answer: No. Pheromones are quite specific in their nature and do not affect other species, that includes humans. Therefore, if you have children in the house, you can be at ease knowing that the spray is safe for them.
Question: Are cat pheromone sprays safe?
Answer: Yes. These do not contain any harmful chemicals and are made by mimicking the natural cat pheromones. As of now, there are no known side-effects. However, just to be on the safe side, it is recommended to go with a pheromone spray that is specifically recommended by a veterinarian.